Phrases


Many phrases are pretty cool and innovative the first few times you hear them.  Everyone seems to have a favorite, but they all have the potential to be overused and become cliche losing their impact.  For example, everything cannot be "Amazing" all the time and it is not likely that all is "perfect." The following are several phrases that I have heard too many times, and maybe I've even used them once too often.

10)  When dealing with a salesman or someone who is trying to convince you of a particular idea. how many times have you heard "does that make sense to you?" Would you really say no and admit you don't understand. It seems to me that whoever asked that question is unsure of his explanation and looking for help.

9)   How many times have you heard "with that being said."  It's like they are putting you on high alert for what comes next. Some kind of exception is coming your way.  Hold on, the whole direction of the conversation is about to change.

8)   How about the phrase "a new normal."  Thanks to the Pandemic, according to Google it was the most overused phrase in 2021 - not a surprise.

7)  If someone starts the sentence with "honestly" be very careful of the thought that follows.  Do they start it off with honestly because they are normally not honest?"  Even better, "you won't believe this."  My take on this phrase is unless you were there to witness whatever it was, you should follow that advice and don't believe it.  I call it the smoking gun of a tall tale. 

6)  When someone uses the term, "no worries," that is exactly what I do.  Why are they telling me not to worry.  If I am worried about something, telling me not to worry only increases my stress level.  If "Dude" proceeds no worries, it's really bad.  FYI, we borrowed that phrase from the Australians where no worries simply means thank you.  

5)  The next two go hand in hand. Just before you are about to be offended someone most likely will tell you "No offense." Be prepared to be offended.  If your response is "I could care less," I'm guessing you care a lot.

4)  Here a few phrases that have fallen out of favor, but if you are around my age, you have probably used most of them and they should be brought back.  "Yada, yada, yada" - right on" - "can you dig it" - "spiffy" - "hit the road Jack" - "later gator" followed by "after while crocodile" - just to name a few.

3)  "You know what I mean?" - You do not need to end every sentence with that phrase.

2)  "Here's the thing" certainly is overused and overworked, but a phrase that has endured.  Generally, it is used to make a point and convince people their idea is the correct one.  I don't think it will be going anywhere for a while, so be on high alert when someone starts a sentence with that phrase.

1)  Finally, the folks that keep up with these sorts of things say in 2022 the most overused phrase is "wait, what?" It is generally used when you are caught off guard or confused about what was just said.  Watch a tv drama tonight and someone will say it.







 




Comments

  1. I chuckled through the whole list - with my favorite being number 7, I mean, honestly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about”back in the day”? I still think one should say, “Now, back in the good old days…..” But, that’s just me. (Is that another one?)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Be Honest

Nurses

Music